Formerly, eulogies were the domain of clergymen. Today, it is completely a sector of funerals that s given to good friends, children and even spouses on some rare occasions. This has had the effect of making eulogies a personal experience that many go through almost as a rite of passage or duty to the family. People want personal experiences in eulogies rather than religious speeches by clergy that may only slightly know the deceased. However, it also has placed people with absolutely no experience or desire to deliver a speech in a position in which they are not only expected to give a funeral speech but deliver a memorable summation of a great long life in only a few minutes. Prior to the digital age, there were no options for inexperienced speakers in the short notice in which these situations often happen, but there are options now.
The most pertinent options is to download a eulogy writing template from a reputable website that is devoted to this issue. The eulogy example downloads are not software, but tools to help a person that is inexperienced in this realm to achieve a moving speech that honors the deceased. Giving a bad speech in this cases is not only an issue of embarrassment, but it will be a failure to leave a final good memory of that cherished person. Reputable sites help immensely because a person can receive examples of eulogies and eulogy samples that relate to most relationships including the death of a father, mother, aunt or uncle. Because of a generational context, these are the people we are most likely to eulogize. In most cases, it will be because of a close relationship with these people. However, this does not make it easier, it makes it infinitely harder.
10 Eulogy Preparation Tips
There are some significant methods to keep the funeral speech relevant without getting bogged down with details. A eulogy example can show how to write a eulogy, but eulogy examples do not include the content that a person needs to deliver. A eulogy for a father or other loved one will need that special touch, and the person delivering the eulogy is responsible for that significant task. However, the next 10 tips will teach this person how to control their emotions for one of the most significant speeches of their lifetime. After utilizing a eulogy example site to find the appropriate structure, these tips will help to prepare this person significantly.
1) Utilize the examples from the site to first construct an outline. Do not consider anything else but the outline. Attempt to refrain from filling the outline in beyond the major topics. The specifics will need to be from the heart. This removes the need to impress people with the gift of gab because people will be moved by the sincerity of the seemingly unprepared speech. The outline needs to be loosely filled in with content that is designed to prompt another endearing story of the deceased after the major topics are settled. Completing the outline in this manner will make the speech feel organic to the other mourners.
2) Ask other close friends and family for stories or particular points that they feel are important enough to be included in the eulogy. If this pool is very large, try to find trends in the stories and highlight those. Additionally, also find specific instances that had a profound impact on someone. In times of mourning like these, people will often come forth with these stories. Make sure to take note and include the most personable ones in the speech. These stories and details of people‘s lives are very important in the ceremony. People that have been impacted by the deceased will feel included and gain some comfort also.
3) Stratify generations for information. There are definite sections to people’s lives. These are important factors in who and what that person has become. Information from people’s early lives is necessary in giving a complete picture of the person’s life but also in defining who they were at the time of their demise. If grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts or cousins are still living, they should be picked for the most important points in that era of the life of the deceased. People often censor and minimize the impact of certain people and events of their earlier lives, but they become more important when defining an entire life. Teachers, coaches and clergy are excellent sources for this insightful information.
4) There will be a time for humor during the speech. This action will alleviate some of the stress and emotion involved in a very meaningful way. However, if you are not naturally comical, it may be necessary to glean some appropriate material from friends. This group of friends will be rich in funny stories about the individual. Old teachers are also surprising sources for comical material. The comic relief should be short lived, but it will be impactful. It also lends to making the examples that are utilized from the site more personable, and a step toward making it the personal speech that eulogies should be.
5) Do not be afraid to mirror the examples from the site. Some people that will be asked to deliver these speeches will be totally void of the skill of speechmaking. This will be compounded by the emotion that is inherently involved in this situation. This is the perfect time to lean on a site that provides this type of guidance to people that must endure this process. The site will be an adequate substitute for someone that has to deliver the speech in spite of being deeply embroiled in emotional turmoil. The stress involved can be significant also but relying on the examples alone can get someone through this trying effort.
6) Do not allow the responsibility of giving the speech to cause the person that is delivering the speech to resist mourning. Going through the process of grieving will remove some of the emotion that is caused by delivering the speech. However, some emotion cannot be avoided. Simply pause and contain the emotion, and when able to continue proceed to deliver the speech. This is not a business speech. A speech that is devoid of emotion would seem insincere and propagated. Additionally, people will share the emotion. This in turn will continue to keep their focus on the eulogy, and the eulogy is actually the details of a beloved person’s life.
7) Do not be afraid to use cheat notes. The outline that was derived from the eulogy examples on the site can be used for this purpose. Some people will possess the skill to deliver these speeches effectively. These people can benefit from these cribbed notes also. It is a definite trick from speech making 101. However, utilizing them for delivering a speech that is wrought with emotion is especially appropriate. This means that sites that have eulogy examples are necessary even to these skilled speechmakers because of the gravity of the moment in which the speech will be delivered.
8) Have someone help. The emotion involved cannot be overstated. A helper can facilitate the process by utilizing the site to give input about the appropriate structure that should be chosen from the examples that are given on the site. They can also help direct the process by gathering information from the relevant sources. Additionally, writing in preparation for the speech will be an emotional event. These steps can be taken in the earlier phases of the process. If some alone time is needed after the rough or incomplete draft is finished, it can be utilized to further personalize the speech.
9) Relax. Remember the moment, and its purpose. The site that is devoted to eulogy examples has prepared to speechmaker significantly at this point. It is now time to internalize the speech. The cribbed notes will make memorizing an entire speech unnecessary. However, be sure to bring the notes. This is also when a helper would be appropriate. Being forgetful in these trying times would certainly be understandable, but planning will alleviate some of the mistakes. Try the speech a few times for timing purposes but also to familiarize oneself with the delivery. Emotional parts of the speech will also be easier with some practice.
10) Run through the speech with people that are important to the speech. Make sure that these people do not want things included. This means that these people need to be consulted in the final phases of the speech planning to avoid last minute changes. The person that is giving the speech was asked to do so for specific reasons. Honoring this decision with some preparation is definitely justified. That is the entire purpose of sites that assist with this process. People will feel comforted in the fact that the person that was chosen to deliver the speech took their responsibilities serious enough to prepare in such an effective manner. However, the point is not to impress, but to effectively memorialize a loved one.